View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 12:17pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiref8
Situation: Offensive player has ball, dribbling or not, defender guarding player continues yelling "ball, ball, ball, ball . . . . . ." or "Da, da, da . . . ."

I stop play, and explain to both coaches that I view that type of behavior as un-sportsman like and doesn’t lend itself for the good of the game. I compared it to behavior that is allowed during free throw attempts. Communication, like " Ball" or "Switch" or "Pick" will be tolerated. Give both teams warning, next occurrence will result in Technical. One coach got very hot that he had not heard of this before. I told coach that he has the option of complying and has been warned without penalty.

I cannot find anything specific, and classify this under: 2005-2006 Rule Book Rule 10, Sec 3, Art 7 for Unsporting foul. Including but the limited to . . . . . .

I would like some guidance on this please.

wiref8:

You will not find anything in the rules regarding this situation because there is not rule against it. You weren't just be overly officious, you were trying to impose a rule that does not exist. Remember, you have nothing until you have something and you had nothing.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sat Dec 15, 2007 at 12:21pm.