View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I"m just wondering if you could have game management address the crowd earlier, without tossing them. It might also depend on the level of play. At varsity, with two relatively good teams, or where the winning team is taking the harassment, I'd be inclined to let a lot more go. But if there really is some emotional damage being done, I'd be tempted to nip it in the bud.

edited to add: looking back at OP, sounds like you handled it just about right. V team way ahead, player getting harassed is managed, game management stepped in when boundaries were crossed.
Julie,

In trying to prevent this type of situation in the future, my main question becomes:

Do you consider razzing, trying to get a player's "goat", ridicule aimed at players, etc. as being abusive? Do you stop it if it is not profane, vulgar, racial or threatening? I have always kinda thought that was home field advantage.

And, if the the player lets the crowd get to him and responds in a non-threatening, non-vulgar manner, do you penalize the player?