View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) By immediately trying to calm #23 down, you were proactive.

2) Abusive comments may relate to race, profanity, threats, etc. Saying "you're terrible" is relatively mild imo. Any player who responds to that is kinda thin-skinned. It may have been an over-reaction on his part.

3) If the response in itself included profanity, threats, racial comments, etc., I would penalize the player. Otherwise, I'd probably do exactly what you did.

4) No.

Sounds like security reacted well by unloading the whole student section. I'd make sure that I'd report this one though. You certainly don't want to see a repeat at that particular school.

Good job by you and the kid's coach in trying to calm the kid down imo, Mulk.
JR,

Report into GHSA already.

What I'm trying to come to grips with is razzing a player, constantly booing a player or holding up signs considered fan abuse? Take out profanity or vulgarity, should a high school player be subjected to constant razzing? Picture the kind of stuff the Dukies do when they target a particular player. Would you stop this kind of behavior in a high school game?

If the student section does get the player's goat and he responds "mildly" by screaming back, laughing, pointing or shaking his head, ec., would you penalize the player? Is the player expected to ignore any comments from the stands?

Who is more at fault IF this razzing escalates into something similar to the situation that we had the other night? The player or the student section?