View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 02:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Things I forgot after 11 months away.....

(1) How to pack, obviously. While minor things, I forgot my handkerchief and my gum. (I sweat and get dry mouth, if you must know).

(2) If the players jumping are 6'5", it's preferable to toss the ball higher than 6'5". Actually, I think I managed this, but not by a whole lot.

(3) High school coaches aren't always bright. Twice tonight a coach "argued" for something that would've gone against his team.

(3a) Once, on a midcourt trap, I was in the process of calling a foul on the defense (which knocked the ball loose) when my partner flew in and announced that the offense had asked for time before the ball came loose. And the defense wanted to argue that the ball was loose.

(3b) Had a pass-catch-turn-crash across midcourt. I went up with a fist and my partner came in with a travel call. Same coach (on offense) wanted to argue that one. I was going to call a player control foul. Partner had a good call there. I was focused on the impending crash and he, with a bit more distance, was able to focus on the feet.

(4) 2-person still sucks as much as it did in January. It's a miserable way to call varsity boys basketball in 2007. Once tonight I had a loose ball rolling towards my sideline (I was the trail, we were in the backcourt). Two players dove for the ball and I was (necessarily) focused on them and the ball going out of bounds. Apparently someone got pushed behind me. Partner didn't see it. Coach in my pocket and I told him I needed to focus on the players diving and the ball and I must've missed what happened. Good enough for him. With 3, this wouldn't have ever gotten missed. Plenty of other examples where 3 would've given better coverage.

(5) Some games are going to feature 10 kids playing at a time with limited talent who are going to make me look bad no matter what I do. Physical, physical game. Sometime 4 bodies would crash in the middle and I'd almost laugh trying to imagine what I'd call there (besides nothing). Other times, a minor bit of contact would force the ball handler into a travel or a turnover and we'd have to call it. We had at least 5 players foul out in a game where we called only about 35 fouls.

(6) Whoever thought up the new 20 second period for replacing a disqualified player ought to be shot. Notify coach, notify table (starting clock) and there's no way to notify the player and be back to give a warning on the first horn since it's 5 seconds later. Am I the only one who saw nothing wrong with giving 30 seconds here?

(7) Timeout position. What's old is new again. I know I used to do this little dance in 2-person until we started using the tops of the arcs and blocks, but it was a struggle tonight. The state here has clarified that both officials should still call out "first horn" but it seems to be much more awkward than having the official on the division line handle both teams.

(8) Getting mileage money. Got $52 mileage tonight. Wow. Game fee itself was only $55.

Back at it tomorrow. Girls, 2-person. It's still fun, although I'm now looking for a good game. Based on last season's records and this season's predictions, tomorrow will not be it.