batters. We're up to about Ball 10 (total),
and next pitch bounces by and gets stuck in
the backstop fence about 18 inches above the
ground, just lodged there. The catcher pulls
it out easily.

What's the call? Guess what my partner
thought the rule was?

Marty,

Think of it this way, what if the ball was lodged too high for the fielder to reach? Would you make him shake it down, meanwhie there is a merry-go-round on the bases? This is a common occurrence in baseball, so you will see it again. Oh, don't forget to check the baseball. JOHN

BlueZebra,

I don't see the need to over this at a plate meeting since a great deal of fields have fences that can allow a ball to stick. It is pretty well understood, sort of like a ball rolling under the fence...we all know what to do on that so need to discuss it...just where a hole might be. We don't get paid enough to discuss "small detail" here in OK, so I don't want to spend a day talking to the coaches about every possible incident in a game. Let me know what is live or dead on facings, piping on dugouts, scoreboard, etc. and let's go. Baseball is a weird game with things happening all the time that have yet to be seen, that's why it so much fun! If and when it happens, Major League rule book says that any situation not covered in the rule book is left to the best judgement of the umpire. JOHN