View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_Ref
I'm not sure. I make sure that I hear "TIME-OUT!" before I give the time out. They could be saying something else...just like a game tonight.

There was about 30 seconds left in the game. Home team was dribbling down the court...I was table side near division line going past home bench when I hear the coach saying "Time! Time!"

I did nothing..continued down. She kept saying, "Time, Time." I thought she was telling her players to watch the time on the clock. Finally one of her assistants said "Time-out," and I granted it realizing the coach was trying to call time out.

Long story short I guess you have to be sure the time out is what they wanted...then the coach has no recourse if he goes over his limit.
When the rule first came in there was a POE directing the officials to verify that it was in fact the HEAD coach making the request. This has been followed up by a clarification that the officials are supposed to focus upon the on-court action first and the coaches have to understand this and it is their responsibility to make it known that they desire a time-out.

Lastly, don't ever grant a time-out because an assistant says "time-out."