View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Five Second Count Screen

Question came up during a scrimmage today. A-1, who is dribbling, is closely guarded, within six feet, in the frontcourt, by B-1. The official begins a five second closely guarded count. Then A-1 dribbles around a screen set by A-2, such that screener A-2 is between dribbler A-1 and defender B-1, who is still within six feet. After dribbling around the screen, the defenders switch men, and A-1 is now closely guarded, within six feet, by B-2. During the entire sequence, dribbler A-1 was always within six feet of either B-1 or B-2. Official calls five second closely guarded violation. Coach politely asks if the count should have been continued after the dribbler went around the screen. My initial thought was that, in the absence of a screener, the count continues when defenders switch assignments, and still stay within six feet of the ball handler, which allows the official to continue the count, however, my thoughts went back to a Refresher Exam question from a few years ago, that I got wrong, and still don't really understand:

2005 IAABO Refresher Exam - Question 22: A-1 is holding the ball in the front court and is closely guarded by B-1. As the official count is at two, A-2 takes and holds a position between A-1 and B-1. Official discontinues the 5 second closely guarded violating count. Is the official correct. Answer Yes, Citations 4-10, 4-23-1.

Was the scrimmage official correct to continue the count in the scrimmage. Why does the official, according to the Refresher Exam answer sheet, discontinue the count in the Refresher Exam situation? I don't really understand the citations given on the answer sheet. In the scrimmage situation, what if the defenders had not switched, in other words, what if B-1 had gone around the screen, such that screener A-2 is between dribbler A-1 and defender B-1, and B-1 still stayed with six feet of the ball handler the entire five seconds, a situation more like the Refresher Exam question, should the count continue or discontinue?