Thread: back court
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Been reading on this and trying to play along at home...

On a throw in, a tap by either team does not designate team control so using Dexter's points...how do you have a BC violation without team control, seems pretty striaght forward to me...

I'm echoing Ref in PA here......let me see if I am understading...
you are saying the offensive player that leaps from FC, secures the ball in the air and lands in the BC has now violated? Correct?

And the reason behind this is because:

1- his status was determined by where he took off (FC)...
2-when he possesed the ball (in the air) was when team contol was established...
3- When he lands in the BC he has control of the ball and is now standing in the BC thus BC Violation has occured.

This would be true regardless if any member of either team tapped the ball causing it go into the BC.
On item 3, the violation isn't because he's now standing in the BC, but because he gave the ball FC status when he possessed it in the air, and then was "first to touch" after the ball had BC status.

There is a specific exception that allows this play, IF NO ONE FROM EITHER TEAM HAS TAPPED THE BALL. Once there's a tap, the throw in and the possibility of the exception applying ends. Note however, that A2 can tip the ball into the backcourt (uncontrolled) and then retrieve it with BC status. THere was no team control established on the tip, and if A2 attains bc status before controlling the ball, it's legal. I think.

Last edited by rainmaker; Fri Dec 07, 2007 at 09:24pm.