View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 08:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
The high school governing body in Massachusetts, the MIAA, has put in place a recommendation that game officials remain on the court at the end of a game to observe the handshake between teams. This "recommendation" will become a requirement next year -- for all team sports in Massachusetts.

The Massachsetts State Basketball Officials Assn. has decided it will not honor this request and has advised officials to "immediately exit the playing area" as has been the practice.

The officials have told the MIAA that if this requirement is going to be in place for the state tournament this season, the officials will not enroll in the MIAA and presumably not accept tournament games.

The vast majority of Massachusetts high school officials are IAABO members. IAABO has also advised officials not to remain on the court to observe the handshake. The officials say they are concerned for their safety and welfare of officials.

No word yet from the MIAA.
It would be a cold day in hell before I did this. Thank goodness I don't live in Massachusetts anymore, cause I hate ignoring state associations.

I did have a partner once who asked me whether we should stay, as the play had been slightly heated. My response was that if there was to be a punch thrown during post-game, I sureashell didn't want to see it and have to deal with it. That's what coaches and parents are for.