View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen that one yet, but I think even behind the plate I'd catch the second revolution and call IP. As BU, definitely.

Last year I saw a remarkable change-up in which the girl separated her hands normally, and then in what appeared to be the beginning of the windmill delivery, dropped her hand to the side and to the rear. But then as she rocked forward she delivered the ball, past the hip, as both arms swung forward and reached high, and then swung back downward as if in a double-pump. Delivered with a forward step. No second revolution. She threw it twice, backhanded and with a lot of spin, and got it over both times.

As I remember, the offensive coach made a bit of noise about its being an IP, but when I asked him what rule it violated, all he could say was something about "deception."

After the game, I asked her to duplicate it for me. After watching it several times, I concluded that it was indeed legal.

Note: For some reason, many umpires around here have applied the word deception to any pitch they want to call illegal, especially in SP. It's a catchall that has unfortunately spread to players and now apparently to some FP coaches. A related myth is that a SP pitcher is guilty of "deception" if he throws a pitch in a motion different from his usual motion, even if the pitch is otherwise legal. I've even seen this misinterpretation taught at clinics.