View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
No, it doesn't clear up the 2-5-7 issues. It's an attempt to obfuscate them.
Let's use this email to interpret a situation:

After the final horn, the officials glance at the scorer to see if all is well. They get the thumbs up and start for the door. The winning coach decides to take this opportunity to release some profanities directed towards the officials. The coach's team is ahead by 1 point at this juncture.

According to this email, there's nothing the officials can do, yet that goes directly against an NFHS case play.
You're correct Snaq...what I should have said is that the email is attempting to clear up 2-5-7 issues.

The situation that you describe is definitely the crux of this issue, but I don't agree that the officials are powerless in this sitch, they just have no recourse as it pertains to that particular game. IOW the coach's profanities would be handled in the same manner as a coach yelling profanities at an official outside a dressing room.

BTW don't get me wrong I HATE this rule!!!! The MIAA likes to believe that they can govern every sport in the same exact way. Asking the officials to stay until after the handshake in soccer has been somewhat successful and they are trying to carry this over to all sports. Soccer is a different beast...officials are better served to stay on the sidelines until the crowd on the other side of the field (60 + yards away) has begun to disperse, much different then a small crowded gym where irate fans only need to go 30 ft.

Last edited by biz; Fri Dec 07, 2007 at 01:03pm.