Thread: bad to worse
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Had a sitch once like this not too long ago.....

I was T and the ball was being advanced toward half court against mild pressure (by this I mean the guard was about 7-8 feet away moving backwards to play normal D in the FC)....I happened to take my eyes off the dribbler to check/verify the clock (it was under :20 left and I wanted to get a good mental note of where we were at)...As I did this, I hear TIMEOUT-TIMEOUT...I blew the whistle and it was the guard not the ball handler that said it....I called an inadvertandt whistle and we put the ball back in play with a throw in from HC line...

I admit, I should have looked to verify....but the placement of the players really made me think it came from the ball handler...I was probably equidistant from both the guard and the dribbler when I heard it...it really sounded like it came from my right (where the ball handler was at) and not toward my left where the guard was at...

Is there a penalty here for what the defense did?
In this case since you blew the whistle to grant the TO, I believe the Defense should be granted & charged with the TO. No it should not have been granted to start with, but since the play was stopped for the TO, it must be granted. The only penalty would be if B team didnt have any TOs remaining.