View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
The officials did raise the liability issue in a letter to the MIAA -- specifically liability insurance. It said the insurance policy that IAABO has to cover Massachusetts officials is based on NFHS rules and mechanics. The insurance covers liability, medical fees and reimbursement for game fees assigned, but which cannot be worked because of an injury during a game. Since the MIAA is imposing a requirement not approved or sanctioned by the NFHS -- and one in which officials believe increases the risk of injury -- it is asking officials to take on a duty for which they have no coverage.

Now...I think that is a pile of manure...but I am not a liability lawyer or insurance underwriter. If I am injured as a direct consequence of working a game...I sure would expect the insurance to kick in. If I trip on the stairs going to the locker room...or slip on the shower floor...I certainly would file for a claim under this policy. Now, the insurance experts might say they have factored those risks into the policy and the premiums...but not this new added high-risk handshake watch...is possible.

As usual, the bureaucrats in the MIAA want us to clean up their act. They have the resources -- the teachers, coaches, ADs, administrators, etc. I am just a humble high school official, trained to deal with what happens on the basketball court. That's all I signed on to do. When the final horn sounds, I am looking for my partner and the shortest route to the locker room.
I understand that. I meant that the MIAA letter seems to say that the officials shouldn't be concerned over taking on liability for the post-game handshake and what may occur. To me, that wasn't the officials' concern to begin with. They are worried about who is liable for them.