View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

I am an official and a hs coach in MA. (I don't ref hs anymore because of my coaching schedule) I've been following this fairly closely.

Here is a notice that was e-mailed to MIAA member schools. I apologize in advance for the length, but this e-mail clears up possible 2-5-7 issues in relation to the ceremonial handshake...

Quote:
Dear School and Athletic Leaders,

During its meeting yesterday, the MIAA Board of Directors voted to publish and communicate the information below. Following the vote, Board members asked me to communicate to you the need for the leadership of both Athletic Directors and Principals in: (1) assuring a positive venue climate; (2) inviting and encouraging the presence of Basketball Officials during the post-game handshake sportsmanship ceremony; and (3) conveying your support of the new rule to your students and school communities. School principals on the Board of Directors asked that I share with their colleagues the need to support implementation of this rule, and to assure their home site is actively managed so as to reflect the positive culture/climate with which any school activity should be identified.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earlier this month, the MIAA announced the recent action of the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Council (MIAC) relative to increasing the visibility of contest officials during post-game handshake ceremonies in team sports. Such an initiative was adopted many years ago in the sports of ice hockey and soccer. The practice has elevated the educational culture and climate of these sports. This Winter season, game officials in other team sports are called to support the success demonstrated in these sports, by also participating in the ceremonial post game handshake.

In the dialogue leading up to this rule adoption, potential implication of this handshake policy on the final score of a basketball game was raised. This concern was related to a possible technical foul being assessed for behaviors after the buzzer, but before the officials leave the court. With the advice and counsel of the National Federation Basketball Rules Editor, the following interpretation of NF Basketball Rule 2, Section 5, Article 7 addresses this concern: "When the referee either signs the scorebook following the end of the game, or when a non-verbal confirmation is exchanged between the referee and the official scorer, the score is then final and considered approved."

Any unsportsmanlike behavior following approval of the final score will be penalized consistent only with MIAA Sportsmanship Rule 49.8: "Fighting and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties will be within the authority of the official at all times at the contest site. The official's authority extends to pre and post game oversight." Implementation of this rule could have future consequences on the offender, but does not affect the final score.

A recent question of increased "liability" apparently has been raised by some basketball officials. Contest officials have no increased liability for any activity resulting from the handshake ceremony, but rather are simply participants within that ceremony. Head coaches (and not game officials) are responsible for their teams and student-athletes during the handshake ceremony. The contest Site Manager (most often the home team Athletic Director) and School Administration are responsible for spectator decorum at the venue.

The MIAC vote did acknowledge that there may be rare occasions when either the game officials or contest site manager decide to excuse the officials from the post-game ceremony. When that decision is made, a report [click - http://www.miaa.net/Sportsmanship-Ha...port-Form.pdf] must be submitted to the MIAA Sportsmanship Committee, which will be monitoring and evaluating this new standard.

As always, the contest site manager also has the authority to cancel the post-game ceremony altogether, if circumstances suggest such a decision.

Questions, implementation advice or resources should be discussed with MIAA Deputy Director Bill Gaine (Executive Liaison to the MIAA Sportsmanship Committee).

Kindly accept best Association wishes to you and yours for a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season,

dick neal