Thread: My fault...
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF
As I am running back to fron court there is a quick pass to a player that is directly infront of my view. The players shoots the ball quickly and there is no way I could tell where her feet were.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF
How in the blue hell am I at fault for this one. His reasoning is I shouldn't have gotten straight lined.
PIAA REF, I might have to agree with your partner on this one. According to your description, you were in the front court as T, the player who shoots is "directly in front" of you, so isn't this play in your primary? Why would you think it's you partner(s)' fault for not watching and making a call in your primary?

We all get straight-lined from time to time, but I try to make sure it happens as infrequently as possible. In this case, maybe you should've been either off the court, or a little wider off the sideline to see that angle. There's a chance the L might look back to help you out, but the C might also help if the player taking the shot is close to that "gray area" in between coverages. I agree with Dan in that if the L is telling you it's a 2, then they definitely see a foot on the line. If the C was certain it was a 3, they should've blown the whistle right there, counted the 3, give the ball to the other team and away we go. But because he didn't come in and blow the whistle right away, maybe he wasn't 100% sure. However, by the time they give you this information, it's too late to change it.

(Used with permission.)