View Single Post
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I think the real issue here is when FC status is established? If A2 has it, it's a violation; if A2 doesn't have it, it's not a violation.
My understanding is that on a throw in the NCAA rules there is no centre line until the ball is a) controlled by a team and b) the player in control makes contact with the floor. In this situation A2 has control but has not returned to the floor so he has no front court or back court status. (Which is why AR20 doesn't apply - in that article FC status has been established). That means there is NO over and back violation. The closest I can come with a reference is 9-11-5 which says "a player shall be permitted to be the first to secure control of the ball after a throw-in while both feet are off the playing court and the player lands with one or both feet in the backcourt." So if
A2 can land back there he should be able to pass back there. This was the interpretation used at the Westcoast Officials Camp in Bellingham last year and is also the interpretation used in my association.