View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Maybe he/she/they can clarify whether or not PA deviates from the NFHS on flagrant technicals during a bench-clearing fight as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
They do. See post #9.

I remember a thread about that mess on this forum.
The fight at the State Championship was "special." The PIAA governing official overruled the court officials who had the correct ruling of ejecting just about everyone. In the interest of playing a "championship" game, the governing official used his authority to set aside the NFHS rules. Hopefully that was a one time thing, but you never know.

To my knowledge, PA does not deviate from the NFHS on flagrant technicals during a bench-clearing fight. The number of bench personnel that left the bench area and the number that participated in the fight would determine the number of Free Throws to be shot.

The only person I would call if I were a ref on the game would be to my assignor. I would have to fill out additional paperwork to send to the PIAA concerning the incident. The Assignor would deal with the AD at the school. No way would I call anyone at a school about an incident. In fact, should something like this happen in a game, my procedures would be:

1. (During the game) Record time of incident, who was involved, level of involvement, penalty. I would have the scorekeeper record that information in the official book.
2. (After the game, before leaving the court) Get all the information from the official scorer.
3. (After the game, with partners) Review information, add details if needed. Make sure we are all in agreement with what happened.
4. Call assignor, giving oral details.
5. Write up incident, give copy to partners, assignor, PIAA.

These procedures are just my own thoughts, not anything sanctioned by the PIAA other than letting the PIAA know. My local chapter wants us to inform the assignor of all technical fouls.

If the school wants details, they can contact the assignor or the PIAA. They can review the film. If it turns out the crew misapplied the rules (by giving more Free Throws than merited), I am sure the assignor will tell the crew.