View Single Post
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Ed ,
I must respectfully disagree with you as to when a player who is preparing to kick is protected . 2-30-8: A kicker is any player who legally punts, drop-kicks, or place-kicks .
So again I say , how can we have roughing or running into the kicker when he's not a kicker ? 2-30-13: A runner is a player who is in possession of live ball or is simulating possession of a live ball .
So until the player actually kicks the ball , he's nothing but a runner and is as vulnerable to contact as any other runner, even if he's in a scrimmage kick formation.
Case play 9.4.4 deals with contact AFTER the ball's been kicked .
Can you site me a rule reference that affords a player protection just because he's preparing to kick the ball ?

Again, read Casebook 9.4.4 Situation A Comment. The defense is responsible for avoiding contact with the kicker. Casebook 9.4.4 Situation B further clarifies contact and defines the principle of a kick being apparent. Furthermore, a kick is apparent if the offense goes into scrimmage-kick formation. Yes, 2-30-8 does define a kicker and 9-4-4 Illustrated agrees a runner is a kicker until he kicks the ball.

This is a situation where the spirit and intent of the rules needs to be exercised. By that, I mean, officials are charged with the safety of the players. When a kicker's leg is in the air or a holder is sitting prone on the ground the defense is not allowed to charge into them.

In the situation presented initially the defender charged into the kicker striking his leg, then was able to block the punt. Not only was a kick apparent, it was in progress. And, I assume striking the leg occurred before the kicking of the ball.

In the legal profession that is called "fruit of the poisonous tree" because by committing an act of illegal contact -- charging into the kicker -- the defender was able to block the kick. You cannot reward the defense.

After a few years of officiating, I found every rule cannot cover every situation, that is why there is the Casebook and rule interpreters. You have to rely often on the spirit and intent of the rules to officiate.