View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
While I don't consider this a violation, I do see where the point is coming from. The player is in full control and is making a choice to jump OOB. That player is not going where the ball takes them (chasing down a lose ball, rebound, etc.) but is choosing to jump OOB with no other reason than to get an advantage just before landing OOB. Again, I don't consider it a violation, but I can understand the argument.
I concur, Camron. It was a good question that has since been answered by the NFHS in this year's inteps. (Did anyone bother to look there? )

SITUATION 5: A1, while being defended, is driving from near the free-throw line extended toward the end line. A1 continues toward the end line and pulls up and goes airborne just before the boundary line with his/her momentum carrying him/her out of bounds. Just as A1 goes airborne, he/she passes off to a teammate across the lane and lands out of bounds. RULING: No violation. A player's momentum, after performing legal actions on the court that results in taking him/her out of bounds is not a violation for leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason. However, if A1 purposely or deceitfully delays returning after legally being out of bounds to gain an advantage, a player technical foul would be assessed. (4-4-3; 9-3-3; 10-3-3)