Thread: Playoffs
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh898
I'm in a quandry. maybe you can help me out. I just finished my 3rd year. I think I'm beginning to be a good referee. I do other sports but find football the hardest to officiate so I work hard at it and feel I've progressed. I was passed over for playoff assignments this year and see others who received assignments, in my opinion of course, not as good an official as I think I have become. There is certainly a 'good 'ole boy' network who get all the top games.

My question to you is, how long does it normally take to become good enough for the playoffs. I understand it's probably different in different regions, etc. I'm a little discouraged and wonder if maybe I'm being too impatient. I would love to hear your experiences.
You answered you own question "I think I'm beginning to be a good referee".

The key word is beginning. To be brutally frank, a 3rd year official has no business working a playoff game.

It takes at least 5 years to be a competent official. Here, no 3rd year official got a playoff game. Maybe their 4th year.

Yes, you are being way too impatient.

In our CIF Section, there is no Good Ol' Boy network. The playoff games are assigned by ratings. This year we have many guys working thier first CIF Championship game because they deserve it not because who they are.