View Single Post
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 07:14am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Bob, my '99-00 BRD book states that this is not a violation under NCAA rules. It cites 9-11 Exception 1. However, the current NCAA rulebook doesn't show any exceptions, only the AR that Brad cited. If there was previously an Exception, it's no longer listed and it wasn't listed in '00-01.

Of course, the same people that write the BRD are the same people who write REFEREE articles and quizzes.

Keeping in mind that A.R. 20 is not the same play as the original posting, and that the Casebook Play cited is the same play as in the original posting, the play is legal. The fact that it does not appear in the current rules book does not mean the caseball play is null and void. A casebook play is not null and void until it is replaced with a ruling the makes it null and void.

As I have stated before (backed up by Bob and Tony) the play is legal in NCAA and illegal in NFHS. IMHO, I think that the better interpretation because it is consistent with the definitions of player and ball location as well as the three exceptions listed in the NFHS and NCAA Rules.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio