View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Oh, I get it.
No, you don't get it, obviously.

Quote:
He should hide in shame because he is a fill-in umpire for MiLB. He is not worthy.
I don't believe anyone suggested any such thing. Exaggeration is usually relied upon by those who can't make a relevant point.

Quote:
It isn't like he scabbed or anything is it? He was asked to fill in for missing umpires. He did not put "AMLU" in his signature.
I don't know, did he?

Quote:
Jeez you astound me with your reverence for pro-school honor grads. It is only minor league baseball for chrissakes. It is really not that big of a deal.
Okay, here we go again. Yeah, we know you could have been a major league umpire....you've told us numerous times.

It is a big deal, Steve. Those men work hard and are rewarded justly. Someone making claim to MiLB without paying the price is a thief.

Why do I feel so strongly?

I spent much of last summer with several MiLB umpires on a writing assignment. I know how hard they worked to get through proschool. I know how hard they worked to make it through PBUC. I watched them work in 115 degree heat, day after day, honing their skills, making it through evaluations, dealing with pro managers and players and praying that they get the chance next year to do it again. They are special Steve. They have something in them that made them lay it on the line and go for it instead of posting on the internet..."I could have been a major league umpire." They have put their lives and careers on hold and gambled their futures to be called Minor League umpires. Those who haven't done the same haven't earned the right.

Quote:
I was the (only) Honor Graduate of my AIT class in the Army, yet it only garnered me a letter to my folks and a promotion from E-1 to E-3. And on top of that, the other 34 students in that class still could claim to be professional soldiers. Even the NG and Reserve part-timers. Kind of like fill-ins.
Not the same. They wouldn't be claiming something they're not. Reserves and NG went through the training to be professional soliders.

It's more like some trooper claiming to be an Airborne Ranger because he's made a couple of jumps. He'd get his *** kicked, I know. I've seen it happen.

Two interesting points. There are several umpires here who have filled in. How many claim MiLB affitiation or feel the need to broadcast it via a signature line?

Second, if it's not "that big of a deal" why then claim it when you haven't worked for it?

I thought you were more ethical than that, Steve.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Dec 04, 2007 at 01:31am.