View Single Post
Old Thu May 16, 2002, 02:15pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Brad and Tony --

Thanks -- that's what I thought, too.

RefMag has it as legal in the June 2002 issue (quiz #4 and Caseplays 1 and 2, iirc).

They also had it in a "Basketball Rules Differences" book I bought from them a few years ago.

I seem to remember that this *was* one of the differences in the rules many years ago (before I started to ref college). I'm wondering if it was "lost" when the NCAA re-wrote the rule book a few years ago. And, if it was, was it intentional (or does the NCAA still want that difference).

Mark T.D. -- any comments?

Thanks.

Bob, I read this thread early this morning just before I went to chaperone a school field trip so I am just now looking at this play in depth.

My first reaction was the same as yours. This is the only difference between the NFHS and NCAA. And I had remembered as a Casebook Play in the NCAA Rules Book. The NCAA A.R. that Brad quotes is not the same play as the play in the original posting.

I am just online for a few minutes before going to umpire a softball game, so I do not have a chance to dig into my older NCAA Rules Books that have a Casebook as opposed to the ones with the A.R.'s. I am still of the opinion that under NCAA Rules the play is legal and under NFHS Rules it is a backcourt violation.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio