View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 04:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspaul
Team A has just scored and trails by 2. I look up to the clock and see 4 seconds left in the 4th Q. As the ball bounces to the floor, I see Team B grab the ball and step out. I move along the baseline towards the sideline, since the kid has grabbed the ball and started walking with the ball towards me. At first I think, he is just going to stand there since time will run out, then he keeps walking towards me as if he is about to toss me the ball. He starts to walk towards the court and just as he is about to enter the court he drops the ball (it stays out of bounds), he walks on the court as if the game has ended. Then the horn blows. Losing coach is claiming he walked on the court with the ball. It was absolutely close, but I saw it different.
My call, game over.
I explain to the coach that after a made basket, any member of the team entitled to the throw in, can make that throw in. How many times have you seen one player step out grab the ball then another step out and say, I got the throw in, and they switch. Now a spot throw in is totally different.

I understand that the person making the throw in has to throw the ball directly on to the court. Do you think dropping the ball to the floor constituted a violation?

No violation, game over.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio