View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Bases loaded no outs. Batter hits line drive at R1 leading off 1B. R1 had absolutely no time to react and is hit by the line shot. Very doubtful F3 near the bag or F4 deep in the hole would have a chance to field the ball which now glances into the bullpen area with F9 giving chase. Do I have immediate interference or let the play continue allowing 3 runs to score? Both coaches want a ruling in their favor. Help!
Sounds like an immediate DB to me.

Too many umpires get too hung up on trying to decide if they should allow a runner who has been hit by a batted ball to remain alive by thinking too much about whether a fielder had a chance to field the ball. I can assure you that out of every 100 runners you see hit by the batted ball, maybe one will not be out for INT. The reason is that there is only ONE very rare stituation that relieves a runner from hit responsibility to avoid get hit by a batted ball.

ALL runners are ALWAYS required to avoid ALL batted balls at ALL times no matter whether the infielders are playing in front of them or behind them.

The only situation that relieves a runner from hit responsibility to avoid get hit by a batted ball is if the runner gets hit when he is passing DIRECTLY behind the infielder who allows the ball to pass him untouched and no other infielder is in position to make a play on the ball. The rulebook says "immediately behind" but "directly behind" is a better descripton. The ball must pass either between the infielders legs, or immediately to his left or right within an arms reach.

If the ball passes untouched by an infielder and the runner is too far behind the infielder (IMO, about 8 feet or more) then the runner is out. Of course, if the ball passes untouched by an infielder and hits the runner but another infielder is in position to make a play, the runner is out.

When you see a runner hit by the batted ball and he is out, call "That's interference! He's out" right away.