View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
In the OP, I would have to say that it was his call. We have a steal near the division line, and two greyhounds took off on a two-on-none break. What we actually had for a few seconds, if you will, was a trail and a trail-er. When partner made the call, he was probably at the halfway point of the lane. I was somewhere approaching the division line. Read all the mechanics manuals you want, it still won't help you keep up with 17 year olds.
First of all the Lead should not be making these kinds of calls. I made one of these calls during a college game about 3 years ago as a reaction to a quick play and my partner's disagreed with the call. So leave this to the Trail and Center officials. The Lead official does not have the perspective if they are doing their job to make this call properly. It is not about the mechanics book, it is about angles and being in position.

Secondly, if you cannot keep up with kids that are 17 year old and you are beat that badly, it is time to find some other level to work. About 2 weeks before the season I had a ruptured hamstring that I rehabbed for two weeks. When I came back for my first basketball, I could keep up adequately with 17 year olds. And I am in great shape and I hustle often (which is why I got hurt in the first place). Even if a player makes a steal and you get beat badly, you should not be so focused on the ball from the Lead position.

Peace