Thread: School question
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
So if the OP is one of the best he'll get a shot at pro ball?

I doubt it if he's 43.
And no bookie would take that bet. As I said, looking at it objectively - not trying to talk myself up OR down - I harbor no illusion that I would make the short list, and even get a look, much less an actual offer. And if the numbers in MiLB are such that they'd reach that far down to me - say, a meteorite hit their annual meeting site, for instance - I'm no longer interested in working for poverty line wages; I've got enough financial obligations to be uncomfortable with that level of income. Would I like to? Sure. But there's too much reality in between me and that dream - reality of all types.

I'm just curious if it will be decently enjoyable. In Australia, in 2003, I went to Adelaide for their national school, which was an eight-day school, and it taught 2-man mechanics from the red book. (Although I've learned this year with my new association that either things have changed, or the Aussies simply do some things differently.) That school was a nice mix, but then again, there were no job offers involved; there's no pro system there, and you were going to umpire "back home." If you were good enough, and part of the system enough, you could get picked to do national school-age tournaments or represent Australia abroad, but that was it.

Thanks for the answers so far.