View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 08:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
Conflicts of interest should be avoided at all times. Films never lie, and perceptions are reality, fair or not. If in doubt, don't take the assignment. There are plenty of others!
I have a question for you. You have a team where the players are one color and the opposing team is another color. Should officials of either color be able to work the game? What do you do when no one is available that is not of same race of both teams?
The reason I ask, is because this is a constant issue where I live or fans make issues out of that fact often. Or fans and even administrators try to make connections with things that are not really connections based only on the color of the official's working the game. How far are you taking avoidance of a conflict? You have to have a line in the sand or you will constantly be. If I remember correctly this was a major issue in the movie Friday Night Lights and how the crew was picked to work the game.

You will never avoid every situation where someone thinks there is a conflict. All appearances of conflicts are not reasonable. Your situation involved a family member, which is why I think most of us can agree that you do not want to work games with relatives as the participants.

Peace