View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
First of all if you are going to disagree with my point of view, at the very least accurately disagree with the point I was making. I did not say overrule. I did not even use that terminology. And if you disagree on the reason a basket should count, the Referee has some authority in that area. And I would even extend that issue to a couple of partners that disagree on a call; someone has to have to break the tie if you will. And this is not a judgment call; this is an obvious rules mistake so bad that something needs to be done. And in most situations if you are the Referee (at least that I am aware of) all officials are going to go down, not just the calling official if you let an obvious rules mistake go without any change.

Peace
I don't know how to do that face and clapping hands thing, if I did it would be very appropriate for this post. You and Dan are saying it best, judgement calls is one thing; you won't hear a peep from me unless you ask for help or give me the confused look like you need help... Kicking a rule, that's a different beast and it shouldn't happen. And not to overstate the obvious, but the worse time to kick a rule would be the end of the game.

In regards to the highlighted portion of your post, every young "R", as well as young official needs to know that their decisions can be costly in their advancement in this avocation. I've seen more then one good official get bounced back to JV, or U2 because he couldn't handle being an R and by allowing rules to be kicked all over their games.