Old Wed May 15, 2002, 12:05pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: An explanation for Cornellref

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
Cornellref,
Situation # 7 - In the final situation, the time for B1 to request a timeout had passed because the ball was at the disposal of team A. The requested timeout should have just been ignored. There is no such thing as a technical for requesting a timeout when it's not the proper time.
With A just getting the ball and not yet being in position to inbound, most experienced refs will grant this TO. While you may be technically right, most refs will allow latitude on the TO up until A is OOB and facing the court. A with ball and stepping OOB, B's TO request is usually granted (and I think it should be).
Coach,an official has to be very careful with this.You can hand the defense a heckuva advantage by granting them a TO that they technically shouldn't get.Not only does it allow them to set up a defense,it stops the clock to conserve some time for them at the end of a close game.Whether an official agrees with you or not,he/she shouldn't allow themselves to become a factor in the game when they shouldn't be.What we are effectively doing is penalising the offensive team if we grant a TO in this case.If you want to get the clock stopped and set-up,you're better off tapping the ball away after the basket and taking a delay-of-game warning(if you haven't had one).It serves the same purpose.Btw,if the ball isn't tapped very far after the basket,I'll hustle and get it to throw it to the in-bounder.I don't like giving anyone an advantage that they're not entitled to.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on May 15th, 2002 at 12:09 PM]