View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 01:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I'm just looking for thoughts today. Last night we had opening night of boy's basketball around here. One of the teams played a zone defense, and the other team ran a play often where they set a double screen on one side and sent a cutter to the opposite for a shot from the wing. My question is on how you all flex with that. Personally I stay with the screeners as that is where the most rebounding action will happen, but I can also see making a case for flexing and helping with the possible drive on the 1 on 1 isolation. Just curious. Let me know if my description isn't complete enough. I'm pretty sure most of you see the play I'm trying to describe.
I do not rotate (I do not use the term flex in these cases) as much with a zone defense. For one the offense is trying to move the zone to find holes. The ball often gets skipped back and forth (I see this more with Boy's basketball for some reason) to find those holes and places to drive or post up. You do not need to move to officiate a one-on-one match-up either when your partner has it covered. Unless the ball comes down into the post or the potential for the ball coming to the low block, I would not rotate as quickly. Also a match-up zone is a little different because it is like a man-to-man defense with zone principles.

Peace