View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moref
I just got my Officials Quarterly magazine in yesterday,and it had a very interesting article in it entitled( Whats in a Name?) on page 4. I do call coaches by name if I know both of them well, but if you only know one of them I don't feel comfortable just calling the one I know by name. I want the other coach to feel comfortable with me on the floor when he is on the road. I guess what I am trying to say is if he hears me calling the coach I know by name all night he might think he is going to get the shaft. I think the article is coming from a baseball/softball umpire, but it still fits in this topic. Do most of you guys address the coach as coach or by his name? I personally like to communicate by name if possible. Thanks in advance.
I always get both coaches names in pregame, but I rarely use them. I generally only use first names if we get into a situation where emotions might be escalating and they are really looking for something, I've found that if I can say "Jim I honestly didn't have it", it tends to remind them that we are human and seems to calm them down a little faster than "Coach I didn't have it"....most games though "Coach" will suffice and you are right it doesn't make one side wonder why you called her "Sue" and called me "coach", when you might not even realize that you are doing it...