Thread: Travel Question
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 07:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
So then you are calling a travel as soon as the ball is dropped to the floor? It is an interesting point since the definition of a dribble does not include the secondary "touching" of the ball, only the "pushing to the floor, etc, etc".....that being said, I don't recall ever having seen the call made until there is a secondary touch....I know I have never called it until the secondary touch. You always get the situation where they drop it and then attempt some half-a** "boxout" of the defender so a teammate can recover...I have called that foul before, but never a travel at that point....
What we argued about before was when a player made a head fake or whatever, then pushed the ball to the floor to start a move to the basket, then remembered that he had already used his dribble. The drop, to me, would be more difficult to make a blanket recommendation about without seeing it. Dropping the ball to the floor is not a normal way to start either a dribble or a pass. If there is a teammate nearby who has a chance to retrieve this "pass," I say let them have a chance to do so. If there is no such teammate with such a chance, I have no problem if the travel is called when the ball is released.

Lonesome Dove