View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

As I hinted at the end of my previous post, the LB-DB fouls are somewhat of a mystery due to the lack of a coherent definition and summary of specific penalties contained within the LB-DB terminology in the NCAA rules. This subject always generates some discussion (as it did here) by asking who can read the rulebook and come up with the complete and correct list of all of the "true" LB-DB fouls.

The confusion gets a little worse when you take an actual live ball foul (let's say roughing the passer on a successful TD pass), and then enforce it the same way you would enforce a DB foul that happened after the end of the play (at a succeeding spot, on the try or on the subsequent kickoff).

But the rules guru's say that this isn't a "live ball foul, enforced as a dead ball foul" even though that's exactly what you do.

I'll agree that this one is tough to fully understand, but until the rulesmakers decide to actually define the term (LB-DB) and put a summary of the specific violations covered under the term, we're left to reading a 200+ page book with references scattered around to figure it out.

Last edited by RoyGardner; Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 05:17pm.