View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 05:22pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
This is a long shot, but did this tournament (as do some rec situations) have a rule that only a player on the court could request a timeout?

This probably isn't the explanation, since it's likely she was able to request and have granted timeouts prior to this but I thought I'd bring it up to ask this question:

For those of you who work rec with this rule, how do you react when a coach requests one? Do you tell the coach to have a player on the floor ask, or do you just ignore the request?
Mark:

The tournament was supposed to be played under NFHS with local CYO rules (which basically spell out limits on pressing and mandatory substitution points). Three fulls and two thirties are still the norm.

For the previous games we played in and I saw prior to yesterday, coaches could request and be granted time outs -- full or 30. But for some reason, yesterday, he had told officials that all time outs that day were to be 30 seconds (in other words, no fulls). I'm not sure why, but that really wasn't that big of a deal to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
In a blow-out game? If those didn't work , I'd walk onto the court, in front of said official/AD (bad idea at any level, btw), stand in his face and request the TO. You might get a T here, too, though, so it's a last resort, IMO.
Snaqwells:

If I was the head coach, I would have seriously considered this. Being down by 20+ with a minute and a half to go, what do I have to lose, except a minute-plus worth of standing privileges.

###

I think what gets me the most is the fact he was boasting about his skills prior to the game and then he does something which was a bit contrary to his boasts. I believe it was someone here that said the better officials are the ones that don't go out of their way to make themselves noticed.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Sun Nov 25, 2007 at 05:25pm.