View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 11:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Agree And Maybe Disagree ???

From Nevadaref: "All four of the actions covered by the DOG warnings result in TEAM technical fouls and are not charged to any individual player and do NOT count towards the five fouls required for disqualification. 10-3-6 is for those actions which are not covered by the four provisions in 4-47. The case book clarifies this. 10.1.5 SITUATION D: Immediately following a goal by A1, A3 slaps the ball away so that Team B is unable to make a quick throw-in. RULING: The official shall sound his/her whistle and go to the table to have the scorer record a team warning for delay. The warning shall then be reported to the head coach of Team A. Any subsequent delay by Team A shall result in a technical foul charged to Team A. (4-47-3)

Nevadaref: Thanks for your quick response and citations. One of your citations, 10.1.5 SITUATION D, was not very helpful because I'm more concerned with what happens after the warning, Team Technical or Player Technical, and your citation doesn't mention which specific "subsequent" delay, of the four possible, results in the Team Techical.

I agree with you that Article 3 (Interfering) should result in a Team Technical (Rule 4-47 A warning to a team for delay is an administrative procedure by an official which is recorded in the scorebook by the scorer and reported to the coach: Article 3 For interfering with the ball following a goal, as in 10-1-5d (Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest...interfering with the ball following a goal) because Article 3 also cites 10-1-5d, which is the section that deals with Team Technicals.

I'm not sure I agree with you regarding "All four of the actions covered by the DOG warnings result in TEAM technical fouls and are not charged to any individual player and do NOT count towards the five fouls required for disqualification", specifically regarding Article 1 (Rule 4-47 A warning to a team for delay is an administrative procedure by an official which is recorded in the scorebook by the scorer and reported to the coach: Article 1 For throw in violations, as in 9-2-10 (Opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw in boundary line plane until the ball has been released on the throw in pass)). Unlike the other Articles in Rule 4-47, this does not cite any additional rules. Also, Rule 10-3-6d specifically deals with this type of delay (Rule 10-3-6 Delay the game by acts such as: d. Repeated violations of the throw in, as in 9-2-10 (The opponents(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw in boundary line plane until the ball has been released on the throw in pass). This section of the rules, 10-3, deals with Player Technicals.

In summary, I agree with you that three of the four delays mentioned in 4-47 should result in Team Technicals after the warning, Article 2 (Huddle), Article 3 (Interfering), and Article 4 (Court Ready). I might disagree with you regarding Article 1 (Boundary Line Plane), which I believe should result in a Player Technical after the warning.

For those Forum members who think that this is a minor point because the penalty for all four delays is a Technical Foul, let me remind you that 4-47-1 will impact the number of fouls that will count towards a player’s disqualification.

Nevadaref: I look forward to your reply and any additional citations that your might provide. Hopefully other Forum members will offer their insight to this question.