View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 02:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Let me break it down for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The two statements in pink are obviously linked. Rut sometimes fails to note stuff like that when he pontificates.
How can I put this clearer?

The IHSA is no longer mailing out the NF Manuals to officials anymore. The reason this is the case is because the IHSA feels that many of the NF Mechanics are out dated and sometimes flat our wrong. And in several sports the IHSA uses very few NF Mechanic procedures. And if you do not believe that, ask any IHSA Basketball official why they have not received a NF Official's Manual this year? It is not because the IHSA forgot. The IHSA does not want to use them anymore. Just like the IHSA choose not to use the NF's On-line class for "certification" which was encouraged by the NF and Mary Struckoff who once worked for the IHSA before she took her post.

The IHSA has taken more steps to be apart of the Officials Education Consortium which is a group of states that are sharing video clips and other education material than using material outside of the NF.

I have direct knowledge of this because I speaking as a member of the IHSA Conference Committee which is headed by Dave Gannaway, Assistant Executive Director of the IHSA and runs the IHSA Official's Department (also sat on the NF Football Committee until this year). On that committee I was asked to run (with my football crew member) the IHSA New Official's Session at the Official's Convention that takes place in July every year. How does that relate to this topic? It relates because basketball in Illinois has their own mechanics and philosophies which many are explained in a PowerPoint Presentation (that I have referenced several times here) on the IHSA website. I have also been selected to be an IHSA Clinician in basketball this past summer and I tend to follow these issues very closely. As an IHSA Clinician, it is not necessary to blow the whistle in Illinois despite what the NF Book says because we do not use it anyway. It is not something that is forbidden to do, but it is not required (or else).

Unless something changes drastically in the next few years, we will not be using the NF Official’s Manuals anytime soon. This is a much bigger issue in my other sports like football and baseball where the NF Mechanics and the IHSA Mechanics are very different. Basketball is more in line with the NF as in similarities, but there are differences and things we are asked to do that do not apply at all with the NF. For example, bouncing the ball to the thrower on the end line as the Lead or New Trail is not allowed in Illinois. This is a big no-no in this state and is taught as something that you cannot do. The NF allows the option and the IHSA says you do it this way or else. It is required to teach the IHSA PowerPoint Mechanics at IHSA Clinics and not material directly from the NF literature.

And if I do recall, the OPer is from Illinois. If he wants to stay in the good graces of the higher ups, he likely will have to do what is accepted from the IHSA.

Anything else you think you know better than I do about this topic?

Peace