View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Honestly, I understand your thoughts on this, and it's unfortunate. I mean that literally.

However, cdaref alluded to the can of worms that gets opened when officials start offering help on judgment calls. Unless you have good reason to believe your partner didn't see something vital, or if you really think he doesn't know a certain rule, there's not much a partner can do. We can't over-rule anything, regardless.

In a situation like this, I'd like to think my partner would stop and at least tell me what he has before reporting. He's got to walk in my direction to report anyway coming from Lead.
Yeah, I'm assuming it was just a newer official missing a call and being over zealous in making a "look-at-me" type of call. I haven't seen that guy do any games of importance (mine, playoff games, high level match-ups, etc) so I can understand. As a coach, I would just like to see the more experienced official that admitted to seeing what happened go over and at least have a conversation with the other guy. If in their private convo, the calling official has some other explanation, or is just stubborn and won't change his stance even after knowing this information, the non-calling official will have done his best to make sure the team isn't unjustly penalized. Oh well, knowing my luck, that guy will show up at our season opener and T me up for having my toes over the coaching box line.

I guess refs are kind of line quarterbacks and point guards. The good ones see what in front of them and deal with whats in front of them. The great ones see the whole court/field and know when to break away from whats in front of them.