View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I am in somewhat of a unique position because I am a deputy JO commissioner, so I know just about every coach. I help teach the ACE classes, and will conduct them for an organization if need be in order to spread the word in addition to opening the floor to questions about rules and umpiring.

On the field, if I know both coaches and they know me, I personally don't have a problem being addressed by name -- as long as it's mine. For instance, my name is not a variation of Richard Cranium. I do have a problem with "Hey John, where was that pitch?" or something else from long distance. I will be addressed in a professional manner, and will address them in a professional manner.

If I do not know both coaches (know one but not the other) everyone will be coach. They can call me ump or blue. I am proud to be addressed by either. Umpires have worn blue for over 100 years, and I am most proud to carry on one of the finer traditions of sports officiating. (Thank God we don't have to wear ties.)

I don't have any kind of problem with umpires only addressing coaches as coach.

It's also important to "when in Rome, do as the Romans do." If I am out of town and fortunate enough to be working some kind of tournament, everyone will be coach -- even if it's my Uncle Bob coaching one of the teams or whatever.

Please note that one of the big criticisms of me is that I "schmooze" too much with some of these people. However, when I am not on the field I am out of my uniform, and may be acting in some other capacity like filling in for the TD while he takes a lunch break or goes to get us a couple orders of Ezell's Chicken (as featured on Oprah -- she has it flown in from SEA to Chitown).

If you use names, you may also be considered a schmoozer, so be warned...