Thread: FIBA Question
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:00pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teigan
With the switch to FIBA, they put this interesting question on the test.

The question is:

The official hands the ball to A1 in the backcourt in close proximity to the division line, A1 goes within his 1m to the frontcourt where he inbounds the ball, to A2 who is in the backcourt. The official rules this is a backcourt violation, is the official correct. (Yes or No)

Now when I submitted my test I put no, but there was alot of debate after we had all written it. My thinking was that the sidelines cut off the division line; however the debate was you are deemed where you are on the floor, and that he was in the frontcourt.

Any thoughts?
As has already been stated, the spot throw-in has been designated as backcourt and therefore the pass may be received in the backcourt without any violation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Do I understand the rule to be, if the ball had front-court status when it went OOB, it has to be inbounded to the front court as well?
Yes that is correct. In FIBA once any part ball or feet has entered the front court, then FC status has been achieved (there are a few exceptions that I don't have in front of me right now). The ball can not be returned to the BC. This is also true for throw-ins. The reasoning behind it is the play was designed to be going toward the opponents basket and that would ensure it continues that way.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.