Thread: Diversity
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Diversity

Quick question for everyone, regarding a somewhat touchy subject. Diversity.

I'm curious what other folks around the country are experiencing with regard to placing minorities in state final football games.

Where I'm from we have a ratings system.This rating system has 5 components. 1-test score, 2-years of experience, 3-peer rating, 4- classroom meetings, 5-cooperation. Its a system that has been in place for about 60 years. We've never had a problem. The games are scheduled by rating. At the end of the year, the higher rated guys get the playoff games right up to the finals. What we're experiencing now is that minorities are being placed into spots for the semi-finals and finals despite where they are rated. In other words, these guys are getting games that SHOULD be earned based on the fact that they are minorities.

Are there any other areas of the country where this type of thing is occuring? And how is it being handled? I can see this thing beginning to fester and eventually it will need to be addressed before we lose a large number of officials who just aren't wiling to put up with it.

I know that diversity is something that is everpresent in all areas of life. So, I guess I shouldn't be surprised with the recent events. But it just seems like things should be done fairly. And if the system needs to be tweaked or adjusted in some ways to make sure it doesn't show favoritism, then fine. I just think it stinks to reward someone based on the color of their skin. And I feel like if I were a minority, I wouldn't want something served up to me on a silver platter without my EARNING it. But maybe thats just me.

As I said, I know this is a touchy subject. But I'm anxious to hear everyone's opinion.