View Single Post
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Here is an awkward situation.

The game is a High School 5A playoff. It is a single elimination game. The score is 0-0 in the bottom of the 3rd. A four man system at the Astrodome. The teams are ranked real high in the state. As a matter of fact one team (Bellaire) has a reputation of being nationally ranked for many years.

So we got a good thing going here. We have 2 outs no one on. The batter hits a shot to right center. I give chase. I turn with the ball in sight. It lands.... I see the contact on the top of the yellow line at the top of the fence. The balls contact gives a loud crack..like wood..and bounds down to the field. The ball bounds a good 50 ft where the fielder fields the ball and throws the ball in keeping the runner at 3rd.

The coach comes out to me. He said the wood sound means that it hit the flower area beyond the fence. I stated it hit yellow.

The fence is a huge pad 10 ft high. Who knows what is on top or beyond? He argues and wants me to go to this 10 ft. fence. I am not going. No way. He struts to the fence looks up and turns to the infield and gives a Home Run signal. He then comes back to me. Said I missed the call, I need to take into consideration the sound when making my judgement. I do agree. He then makes the statement to me straight on "Is this why the coach from the opposing team chose me for the game." I stated to him, "The Ball Hit the Yellow."

He then goes back to the dugout.

The coach has a reputation of being a SHOW. Considering the situation would you throw him:

For the going to the fence and giving the signal.
I did not because I knew his agrument was legitimate.
For the statement.
I could not prove it.

By the way the local High School Sports Show aired the play. At regular speed it was questionable. Slowed down and re-played a few times showed it was over the fence.

Mechanically I know I should have set earlier. I was trying to get a little closer. And was moving when the ball made contact. My partners could not tell after asking them after the game.

The final ended with the other team scoring 1 in the top of the 7th and the Bellaire team scoring 2 in the bottom to win.

As an umpire I can handle the stands and the teams during and after the game. It becomes unnerving when the media becomes involved.

So ejecting the coach? Would it fuel the fire? Yes it would have been legitimate, or just sit him in the Dugout. There again it would be conceived as though I was taking a close call and taking it out on him for my error. So I used