View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 10:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho
So would you or would you not give a T in this situation? Cause if memory serves me correctly, you seem to be a pretty strict interpreter of the rule book, especially when it comes to handing out T's when the clock is stopped.
Myself? I'm outa there as soon as the final horn goes. However, if I do see something on my way out that I think is related to unsporting behavior, taunting, etc., then I ain't gonna walk away from it. If I thought the players took their shirts off to taunt the other team or their fans, then I'll call it. If they're just around their own bench celebrating, I'm keeping on a-going.

There's one heckuva big difference between knowing the rules and also knowing when to apply the rules. All good officials know the rules. OOO's however don't know when to apply their extensive rules knowledge. The difference usually is common sense imo.

Yes, I'm a strict interpreter of the rules. I'm not always a strict applier of all of those rules though. Big difference. Apples and oranges. One is concerned with straight knowledge; the other usually is judgment.

Btw, making sure that it's a "T" when it couldn't possibly be a personal foul by rule has got no relation at all to what's being discussed in this thread. That's on a par with deciding whether a foul is shooting or non-shooting. Don't confuse my saying that if you call a foul under certain situations then that foul must be a technical with extrapolating that to mean that you HAVE to call a technical foul under those situations. The idea is that if you do make a call, make sure that you're making the proper call under the rules.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 10:37am.