View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 04:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

I also want to add that I am not trying to ridicule you Rev. I am only trying to let you see the bigger picture. Just because you work some varsity does not mean you are at the same level of other officials working those games. I know I am not at the level of other varsity and college officials. I am starting to get that way on the varsity level and I have worked post-season games, but I would not call myself as the without a doubt "top official" in most conferences I work. I am at the point of my career that people question my motives when I work a lower level game. And it took some time to get there.

One way to guarantee you will not work advance to the point where you only work varsity and people start to really question why you work lower level games is not to make calls that is not well supported by the rules. If in this case there were words between the players then this is a different issue. But standing next to someone all by itself is not illegal. And the fact that you keep defending this does not add to what people might think about your ability or experience. I would tell you that if you said this to a room full of veterans, I would bet despite your experience people would be wondering how you got this ruling from. I know officials that have eliminated opportunities by what they say in meetings. I say this because we talk so much about the "old boy network" but we almost never focus on the way people perceive us because of how we call the game and this kind of call would raise some eyebrows if you fully explained your reasoning.

Peace