View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Coltdoggs,

Your growth as an official will be stunted if you continue to listen to fans. Furthermore, I would never suggest doing what you did. No matter how much you may think a problem will never occur, one parent in the wrong frame of mind could back you into a "corner" and you could very well end up with egg on your face. IMO, there are just too many bad things that could happen.
I hear you tome and I agree on some points...

First, I've been officiating 7 years, so I'm past the point of listening and really caring what fans say...I've developed my thick skin to those who feel they are "getting to me" or being malicious (living through their kids).... I tend to hear them but don't listen to them other than for my own entertainment factor...

In this particular case...The rec/travel league I work in each weekend...I see the same 8-10 teams every week of each "season" (they run 10 week seasons year round)...and I see the same parents on a weekly basis as well...If I felt the guy was malicious in his comments, I would not have said anything and I do let most of it go and not say anything...He had some other light hearted comments and I've seen the guy before....

Having said all that...again, I hear you loud and clear and I appreciate any feedback from other officials...so Thanks....