View Single Post
Old Sat May 11, 2002, 01:59pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Mark, how is ejection of a coach not specifically covered in the rules? Seems pretty well covered. A coach is ejected for one flagrant T, or 2 direct T's, or any combination of direct and indirect T's that adds up to 3.

I'm not sure why 2-3 applies here.

Chuck

Our situation in the AAU tournament was perfect example of using the elastic clause. I cannot comment on the NBA/WNBA rules, but everything in the rules (NFHS/NCAA and FIBA) concerning the conduct of the coaches deals with the coach's actions toward his opponents or the game officials. An official would be hard pressed to charge a coach with a technical foul for doing what the assistant coach did in our AAU game.

As the father of two sons (age 9 and 12) I would not allow my children to be coached by a person like that. His conduct could not fit the description of something that is not specifically covered the the rules. It is my opinion, that the NCAA, NFHS, or any StateHSAA would be hard pressed not to support an official, who faced with the situation that we had in that AAU game, in the making the same decision that we made that day. It would have served no purpose to charge the assistant coach with a flagrant foul thereby giving his team's opponent two free throws and the ball. It was the best thing for the game to just have him removed from the facility.

The reality of the situation was that the assistant coach's actions would probably be considered felony child abuse, and I do not know about you, but I do not want my children being coached by a child abuser.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio