View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 02, 2000, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Warren and Papa C,

I think you're both right.

Jaksa/Roder separates first and home from second and third in regards to appeals and relaxed versus unrelaxed action. Because of the different dynamics set up at those bases, the principles have to be a little different.

We've been talking so much about home plate, I neglected the other bases completely.

When first base is missed while the BR is over-running it, according to J/R, that would be handled the same way as a play at home plate.

Since we know from Jones's ruling and JEA that once a player leaves the vicinity of home plate, the plate can be tagged even if the fielder comes back. According to J/R, that's how first is handled when a BR is over-running, the same as home plate.

But first (when there is no over-run), second, and third are handled differently. At those bases, during a scramble back to a missed base while the ball is approaching the vicinity of the play, only a tag of the runner will do.

I do not believe there is any such thing as "reinstated" unrelaxed action. It's either unrelaxed or it's not. At the time of the appeal, if the runner and ball are approaching the vicinity of the base, it is unrelaxed action. If the runner is far removed from the base, or standing idly at another base, it is relaxed action.

A dose of common sense helps here. When a runner misses a base, he does one of two things. He either scrambles immediately back to touch the missed base, or he acts as though he touched it and continues on.

If he scrambles back, he will either be right there with no time for anything but a tag of the runner (unrelaxed), or he will be far removed trying to get close enough to scramble back (relaxed).

As far as the runner who reached an advance base, when an appeal is made, this runner will either remain on his advance base and hope the umpire didn't see him miss it, or he will try to get back. But since he has reached an advance base, he is far removed from the base he missed. A tag of the runner isn't necessary in this case. Tagging the base will do.

But if he reaches an advance base and somehow has the time to get close enough to scramble back while the ball is reaching the vicinity, then it is unrelaxed action.

The key is what is happening at the time of the appeal. From the throw to the suspect base, to the tag of the base, where the runner is during those moments is all that matters in determining relaxed versus unrelaxed action.

With unrelaxed action, the entire appeal process lacks the time to make an appeal unmistakable. The runner is there, the ball is there, and only after the completion of the play can a determination be made of what exactly the fielder intended. But after the play is too late. It can't be unmistakable then.

In summation:

1. Home and first (when over-run) have slightly different dynamics. Once the runner leaves the vicinity, a tag of the base (unmistakable act of appeal) is all that is necessary for the appeal to be viable, even if the runner subsequently scrambles back.

2. First (when not over-run,) second, and third have no such limit on how far away the runner may run before scrambling back. All that matters here is, at the time of the appeal, how far removed the runner is from the suspect base.

So I say you're both right, depending on the base and situation.

I hope we can all find some agreement here.

Sincerely,
Jim Porter