View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
Sorry, sometimes the geeky engineer in me sneaks out...

Actually, both of my posts were my subtle, tongue in cheek way of saying that if USAV is challenging the accuracy of some net chains, lets see the supporting data. Clearly there's no physical property of any common metal that would result in lengthening over time under normal use, so it must be something else. It it a design issue...i.e.; light gauge open links that can deform under tensile load? Or perhaps (here comes my cynical side) it's related to who ponies up the bucks to get "USAV approved".

My point is, all we have so far is "a conclusion derived, from information inferred" -" it must be true because USAV says so". In engineering circles we call that a WAG (wild-assed guess).

I was just having fun telling you that I had absolutely no idea what you were saying, how to calculate that stuff, etc. I still think the idea of a chain stretching is very farfetched at best... and if the guy is really worried about it, get a cheap tape measure and forget the chain. The tape measure won't get all tangled up either!