View Single Post
Old Fri May 10, 2002, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

when a player questions a play that i call, i will lend him an ear and try to explain the call to him. i rarely ever get technical by quoting rules word for word, and i try to speak in a dialog they will understand. i feel when refs dice up the conversation by quoting rules verbatim it makes us look cocky and like a know-it-all. referees are human and it makes sense to me to give a human answer. coaches and players are not expected to know the rules 100%, they are expected to know the jist of the rules and try to play within the boundaries.

if i know i missed the call that player has more rope than on an obvious call and can let his emotions flare for a brief moment. on plays that are tough, coaches and players get a couple of seconds to vent because their emotions can get high and it is a natural reaction. i will not be quick to whack on a tough play or a play that i kicked. 3 or 4 trips down the court after i have addressed the situation and a coach is still griping he has hung himself.