View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
After doing a little fact-bhecking, it turns out the Cy Young vote wasn't even close.

Quote:
Sabathia received 19 of 28 first-place votes and finished with 119 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Beckett, who outpitched Sabathia twice in the playoffs, was second with eight first-place votes and 86 points.
My fan-colored glasses got in the way. I think Beckett will be satisfied with his post-season accomplishments, even without the regular season award.

I think I asked this last year, but with all the free agent talk, it makes me wonder again. We always hear that this player or that player has filed for free agency. But what happens if your contract expires and you don't file for free agency? Are you not allowed to negotiate or sign a new contract for some length of time? After all, you're no longer under contract to any team. I would think that would be the definition of "free agent".